Susan Ngo earned a Bachelor’s degree in Social work from the University of the Fraser Valley and her Master’s degree in Counselling Psychology from the University of Fredericton.
As a Registered Social Worker (RSW) with the British Columbia College of Social Workers and Canadian Certified Counsellor (CCC) with the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association, Susan brings a wealth of experience to Gentle Currents Therapy.
Susan’s counselling and support background spans eight years working with community organizations and government. This encompasses: The Elizabeth Fry Society, Women’s Resource Society of the Fraser Valley, Ministry for Children and Families, Children and Youth with Special Needs, Aunt Leah's Independent Life Skills Society, Moving Forward Family Services and the Surrey School District.
Counselling and supporting youth at risk of gang activity, women and children fleeing abuse, individuals and families, Susan creates treatment plans for her clients to “achieve their goals of regaining independence, overcoming obstacles, and/or working through personal issues”.
APPROACH TO THERAPY
Susan’s approach to therapy is person-centered, believing each person is the expert of their own life, and an effective therapeutic alliance is genuine, collaborative, and non-judgemental. Susan practices from a strength-based perspective that is trauma-informed and anti-oppressive.
CERTIFICATIONS and ADDITIONAL TRAINING
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention
- Narrative Therapy Interviewing Skills
- Therapeutic Crisis Intervention
- Dialectic Behavioural Therapy Surrey
- Rediscovering Parenting Program Burnaby
- Emergency First Aid & CPR/AED Level C
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Trauma/abuse (past/present)
- Childhood issues
- Self-esteem/identity issues
- Personal development (growth/self-discovery
- Grief and loss/transitions
- Spending time with my kids outdoors